Skip to main content

The spell of weeping princess in Katas (Travelogue of Katas)


The spell of weeping princess in Katas
(Muhammad Shahid Imran)
After constant pleading my friend told me that our teacher agreed for a trip. Now it’s our turn to manage rest of things as our teacher said. First the pleasure of wandering which always forced my big brother saying “vagrant boy” haunts me. Discussion started with the class and finally all decided to go for salt range of chakwal district. I had deep desire to visit snowy cliffs which was impossible in one day trip. Ah something is better than nothing. Mahmood, one of my friends tempted me with his self -made stories about salt mines. He also assured me that there are hills rather not covered with snow but they are green and enchanted. 



The day before departure was full of excitement. I sent a text message to another class fellow Ghadia to bring some tasty edibles with her so the mouth found no French leave. Mom started advising as usual. I felt so lucky to have such a caring mother who loves me, encourages me, teaches me, scolds me and anxious about me as though I still clutch her finger.
When I waked up in morning, friends were calling to come quickly as two buses were ready to go. Atif bhai was managing all things at trip so he is worried about my late timings. When I reached boys were still without breakfast. It boosted my anger but when they offer to have prathas of canteen things calm down.we all got into the bus and the journey started.
Two buses were on their way to khewra which is situated in Pind Dadan Khan Tehsil of Jhelum District. Located at about 200 km from Islamabad and Lahore, it is easily accessed via the M2 motorway. We began to sing songs loudly and care takers, after requesting us several times for slow voice, realized that it was impossible. Half way up when I saw down the hills, I suddenly recited all divine verses told by mom. It was drizzling outside; the road was wet and slippery. I closed my eyes with fear. Then a little tarmac road started which gave a steep climb. I started watching the beauty of nature as John Keats rightly said that “a thing of beauty is joy for all”. We all were enjoying now the beauty of red mountains. Finally we arrived at khewra mines and our teacher start organizing students and briefing them about the history of salt mines at khewra.


Khewra mines are known as the main center of mining in the world’s largest Salt Range. Salt from these mines is not only supplied all over the country, but also worldwide. A trip to Khewra mines proves to be highly fascinating for the tourists of every age and temperament. The reason is that it not only fulfils the requirements of an attractive recreational place, but also carries tremendous pale ontological heritage for educational purposes. Moreover, there are many places of historical and archeological interests all around the area.
It is said that total reserves of salt in the mines range from 82 million tons to 600 million tons. The mine comprises nineteen stories, of which eleven are below ground. From the entrance, the mine extends about 2440 ft into the mountains, and the total length of its tunnels is about 40 km. our teacher show us that  Quarrying is done using the room and pillar method, mining only half of the salt and leaving the remaining half to support what is above. The temperature inside the mine remains about 18-20 °C throughout the year. A railway track laid during the British era is used to bring salt out of the mine in rail cars.
At khewra we saw mosque built by salt bricks, salt waters ponds and many sculptures made by salt. It is said that discovery of rock salt in Khewra area dates back to as early as 326 BC. According to a legend, the army of Alexander was resting in Khewra after a battle with Raja Porus. When his soldiers tie their horses near salt rock they started licking it. Geologists say that rock-salt was found in Khewra about 600 million years ago. It looks funny but whenever someone told about history I inadvertently find myself in past as that time feeling as a soldier of Alexander resting after war. Believe me we had been exhausted after a long trip down inside the mines.
From khewra mines we drove towards katas Raj temple. First we had lunch led dinner at a dhaaba style hotel near the temple door. Once we arrived near main gate, which is open for visitors, a guide welcomed and guided us in great detail the whole history of each piece of architecture there.
This Temple complex is situated in Katas village near Choa Saidan Shah of Chakwal District. Dedicated to Shiva, the temple is there since the days of Mahabarta and the Pandava brothers spent a substantial part of their exile at the site. Katas Raj is also the place where Alberuni attempted to measure the circumference of the Earth, studied Sanskrit and wrote his renowned Kitab-ul-Hind which depicted Hindu religion, scientific knowledge, and social customs. The ever first written mention, Katas Raj could find, was by a Chinese traveler Hieun Tsang in his travelogue followed by Al-Beruni in Kitabul Hind. The later historians, particularly during the Muslim era, mentioned the Sacred Water pool at Katas but that too is deficient in providing evidence about the history of Katas Raj.
The temple lake is famous for the princess of palace somewhere in the range of temples. It is said that when the prince left her alone, she sat near that lake and wept. Her tears turned the color of lake water into green. It made my fellow rather emotional and I suddenly felt her eyes were wet. Even she said she did not believe half of what i told her but it made her gloomy.
The sacred pond at Katas Raj is now drying up because its water is being supplied to the nearby towns. Another legend involves the death of Shiva's wife Sati; people say that when she died, he cried so much and then his tears created two holy ponds - one at Pushkara in Ajmer and the other at Ketaksha, which literally means "raining eyes" in Sanskrit. The word “Katas” has been derived from his name. 


All my friends got scattered to examine the Katas raj temples. It was raining with high wind. The condition of building and maintenance was not good. Govt. should be concerned about the restoration of this heritage. Walking on the rocks alongside the temples was the same as W. B. Yeats  said “I have spread my dreams under your feet, tread softly because you tread over my dreams” In my case, I am damn lucky because my hobby is just like me, an adventurous spirit embroiled into the unknown.
While coming down I got my foot fractured because of slippery descendent. As I also have passion for photography and so after a photo shoot at the top of temple range, we landed near a pond. Suddenly I saw my friend coming towards me; he brought some chocolates for all friends. He also provided me with pain killer for my injury. I am very excited during the expedition and gazed with child like fascination at the landscapes.
Finally all gathered for group photos and sir began yelling upon us to get back into the bus. When it was getting dark, we left for Lahore. Well we enjoyed a lot and learnt much from this tour. The spell of weeping princes will always remains with me and even it sometime wets the skirt of my eyes too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Role of today’s education in changing future of Pakistan

  How US became a super power dominating the former Soviet Union and eliminating the all ideologies other than capitalism, how France and neighbor countries survive the French Revolution’s aftermaths, how Industrial progress modernize the ignorant Europe, how China is taking over the world economy, how Japan survive after dreadful atomic bombing and finally how still more than half population of Pakistan is living under poverty line. Neutralizing all other intervening variables we will find one common variable seeding these all events is education. We met with desperate and astonishing figures while analyzing education condition in Pakistan, standing at 46% literacy rate with only 26% of which girls are literate as per ministry sources, however independent sources paint more horrible picture. We know without education a person can’t become doctor to provide medical aid to patients suffering from disease, one can’t become engineer to build roads, infrastructure, buildings, and education

سیاست، بریانی تے اسیی

  اج کل گرمی نے تس کڈی ہوئی اے، سمجھ نیہں لگدی اے آگ دا گولہ ساڈے اے کنے پئہ گیا اے،تایا  جیراماجے نائی کول بیندیاں ہویاں بولیا۔ رب سوہنے دی مرضی اے چاہے گرمی ہوئے یا سردی سدا کنے رہنا اج آگ ور رئی اے تے کل ککڑ پالا پوئے گا۔ ماجے نائی نے اک گاک دا خط کردیا آکھیا۔ سنیا کمہاراں دا رمضان الیکشن لڑن لگا اے، پڑھ لکھ کے وی ویکھو کیڑے کمے ٹر پیا۔ تایا جیڑا ہر ویلے دی طرح اج وی گل ودان چہ لگیا سی۔ بلدیاتی الیکشن نیڑے آرئے نے تے اگلے مہینے ووٹاں پیئن گیا۔ پھٹے تے بیٹھے امجو نے وی گل وچ اپنا حصہ پایا- جیتنا تے فیر چوھدری نے ای آ، اپنے کر دی سڑک پکی کرا لیئ تے پینڈ وچ آن والا رستہ فیر کچا دا کچا، سکول تے ہائی نیئں ہو سکیا پچھلے دس سالاں توں، ساڈی سوانیاں نوں دو پینڈ چل کے جانا پینڈا دسویں لئی۔ ماجا نائی بولیا۔ ڈاکٹر اے تے ڈاکٹری کرے، کسے غریب مریض دا علاج کرے، دعا لیوے، ایویں چوھدری بنن نوں ٹریا اے۔ تایا جیڑا گاک دے اٹھن توں بعد پھٹی تے بیندیا بولیا۔ تایا او دوائیاں والا ڈاکٹر نیئں، رمضان سیاسیات وچ پی ایچ ڈی کر کے آیا اے، امجو موچنے نال منہ دے اضافی وال کچھدیاں ہویاں بولیا۔ مرا منڈا وی میرے تے

What Tribune tells about Islamophobia